Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Tomato Pie

I got this recipe from my good friend Chad Phillips who in turn got it from his dad. Over the years there was some debate on whether or not you need to blanch the tomatoes (which means boil briefly and peel off the skin)  but over the years and tweaking the recipe myself I have come to realize that you do not have to do this.  I simply cut the tomatoes in bite size pieces and strain them in a strainer with sprinkled Lowry's season salt (an Owen Phillip's Staple).  Then layer tomatoes and basil in a cooked pie shell





Then take a mixture of mayo ( I use light Dukes) and cheeses ( I never measure but usually use sharp ched. and mix in parm. and mozz.)  Dollap around the mixture on top of basil/tom. layer and then layer again.  Top off with cheeses.  Bake at 350 for approx. 30 min.  You do NOT want cheeses to get browned.  And it helps to let it sit a few minutes before cutting. 

1 comment: