Monday, July 25, 2011

Grilled Chicken (or salmon) with Lemon Basil Cream Pasta

Had a little time this evening on my "me time" night while Isaac is off at soccer practice and the kids are sleeping.  KG was actually sound asleep at 6:45!  Happy Mommy!! Gotta hurry though... have to grill my chicken for my "not so exciting" dinner tonight of grilled chicken salad... oh and The Bachelorette! 

OK...found the recipe on The Pioneer Woman's Blog.  I changed it to my liking and taste.  It is so delicious.. I have made it twice in a week...once with chicken and once with Salmon. 

Marinate the chicken in a combination of olive oil, fresh lemon juice, honey and dijon mustard, salt and cracked pepper.  I didn't measure anything but less of the dijon and honey. The Pioneer women says to marinate it 24 hours...I did it for about 6.  The more the better probably!!   Grill the chicken.






Take 1/2 stick butter and melt while squeezing in the juice of three lemons (originally recipe called for four but after making it again I only used three and liked it better). Pour in 1/2 cup heavy cream and 1/2 cup half and half.... (I did end up adding a bit more half and half at the end)  Throw in some chopped fresh basil (the more the better!!!)  and at least a cup or more of fresh parmesan and or romano cheeses.  Toss sauce with cooked Penne pasta..before straining pasta reserve some pasta water to add once mixing pasta w/ sauce... it will help it stay creamy and not dry out.  I learned this trick a while back... pasta water is key!!  Just pour in a little at a time once pasta is mixed w/ sauce.  Top w/ sliced grilled chicken or a piece of grilled salmon.  Throw in some halved cherry tomatoes.  Serve immediately!  I really think this is important...I always wondered why recipes say that...well because you really do need to eat it RIGHT then!!!  Being a professional hostess...Haha...I often will cook and have some wine...chat...then what happens??? My delicious pasta dish is MUSH! 



With Salmon...I didn't use the same chicken marinade but it would probably be good... I just grilled it in foil w/ olive oil and a little thyme.  Then made some extra lemon basil sauce to pour over top of salmon and served it on the same pasta.  (minus the cherry tomatoes cause Kenzie Grace had ate them ALL!!)

Served with a great salad and some not so great photography!! 



 
I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! 

No comments:

Post a Comment